Saturday, November 8, 2008

I AM GRATEFUL FOR....

A beautiful Autumn day. Ok so maybe our autumn days don't really look like this, but I have lived places where they do and they are beautiful. But I am grateful for the beautiful fun autumn day we had today in the desert with a few friends.


So our beautiful autumn day consisted of a marshmallow roasting, 4 wheelin, dune buggying, sand playing, card playing, bush peeing (not me, I haven't mastered that skill yet), cricket eating day. Yes friends I said cricket eating. See photo below.
Nothing quite like an ooey gooey marshmallow to warm you on a frigid 85 degree day in the desert. The fire was left over from the night before so they enjoyed roasting marshmallows for breakfast.
Erin and I took off on the 4 wheelers for about an hour. We had so much fun. We fed the babies and left the dads in charge. I think they were about ready to send out a rescue party. It was a great time.
Scary Jerry took all the kids for rides in his dune buggy. They had a blast going all over the dunes.





Finding some relief from the sun inside the RV. Hey nothing passes time like a good old game of blackjack right?



Kyle wanted to drive so bad. Maybe in a few years buddy.
Robert worked with Tanner on teaching him how to drive it on his own. He learned really fast and really enjoyed himself. It is a little tricky working the pedal clutch and brakes but he did a great job.
Ok so let me explain the crickets. Some of our friends that were there stopped at a gas station along the way and they were selling different flavors of crickets. I was not about to try one. They were whole crickets, antennae and all. You could see their beady little eyeballs looking at you. I mean they were dead and I think fried but still eeww!!! Anyway a bunch of people were eating them and I was still refusing so Janice came up behind me and shoved one in my mouth. It was pretty funny. They actually didn't taste as bad as I had thought. They were like burned potato chips with a gross aftertaste, which I actually tasted the rest of the day. Oh well afterall how many people can say they have eaten a cricket?
The next picture is a little blury sorry. It is the nutritional information for the crickets. Wierd. Did you know that about 8 crickets is 9 calories and 1/2 gram of fat. Not bad huh? I still think I would rather eat a Tic Tac.
So I am grateful for a great fall weekend in the beautiful desert with friends and family

2 comments:

karen louise said...

Ew! I was a little grossed out, and then remembered I too, have eaten a cricket. I think they tasted just like you said...I kind of thought they tasted like burnt toast or something. The worst thing was the antennae...ew gross. I love reading your blog...and I love that we have caught back up with each other!! Btw, where are you vacationing this weekend?

Jessica said...

Gross!! I would have thrown up! Now you can say you've eaten a cricket, though. I don't think I'll ever be saying that!