Monday, July 28, 2008

Mt Whitney C-3 YM High Adventure


Monday July 21, 2008 I set out with the Carlsbad 3rd Ward Teachers and Priests on their High Adventure.


Here is a link from another group outlining the exact route we took.



I am about 1/2 mile from Trial Crest. We began walking @ 3:00 AM on Friday morning. My pack was WAY TOO HEAVY, & mitral valve too leaky!!


We arrived at the summit at about 10:00 AM on Friday July 25, 2008. Getting this high in any other state except Alaska is illegal. Dave Pyatt (my good brother-in-law/personal trainer/motivator) with me on Mt. Whitney. Couldn't have done it with out him! Now the hard part started, getting down to Whitney Portal! It was down 99 switchbacks (they weren't kidding) then the granite staircases and more switchbacks. We were off the mountain about 6:00PM. Talk about a long day!




I found the following description of the type of pack I used going up Mt. Whitney.

I wish I felt the same way the reviewers did as I slogged up the east side of Whitney

their comments

(My comments)

Osprey Argon 110 Camping

With a 6,700-cubic-inch capacity and an 80-pound haul rating(THEY ARE NOT KIDDING), the Osprey Argon 110 seemed as if it would never stop swallowing gear (or bear canisters). And when it finally did, we feared a scamper in the Oakland hills would feel like scaling Everest (YES IT DID). Wrong. A clever shock-absorbing rod (extruded from aerospace-quality 7075-T6 aluminum) stabilized the massive load side to side and channeled it down into the custom-moldable hip belt. There were times when we almost forgot we were wearing it. (I NEVER GOT TO THAT POINT!) :)

0 comments: